Walking the Amalfi coast
Renowned throughout the world for its scenic beauty and dramatic coastline, what is less well celebrated is that this area offers some of the finest and most dramatic walking anywhere in southern Europe, all easily accessible from our mountain base. This walking tour of the Amalfi coast is based in the smll mountain village of Bomerano, with easy access to all the area has to offer. As we are based in the mountains (as opposed to the coastal towns such as Amalfi and Positano), to a large extent we can avoid the infamous steps, as well as the crowds!! The views overlooking the Amalfi coast to one side, and the Bay of Naples to the other, with the island of Capri off in the distance are truly inspiring.
'Our last holiday on the Amalfi coast this Autumn was fantastic..... a really good value mix of stunning walks, wild life and flowers, history and local culture.'
Hotel - You will based in Hotel 'Le Duetorri', www.hotelleduetorri.it This is a family-run 3 star hotel in Bomerano, a small village in the municipality of Agerola, 25 minutes drive from the Amalfi Coast at an altitude of approx 700m. Being higher up in the hills the hotel provides a relaxing retreat from the busier towns by the sea. It specializes as a base for walking groups and it is the best possible location to access both the easier grade walks overlooking the coast as well as those in the high mountains with a range of walks direct from the hotel. Hotel Due Torri is well known for its great local cuisine (including pizzamaking demonstrations!).
Tour itinerary & walks
A mixture of easy and moderate walks are available on this tour.
- There will be a guided walk on 5 of the 6 days. All transport to and from walks is included in the price but on approximately 2 days walks will begin and/or end at the hotel
- The remaining days we would use a range of private transport. Most transfers would involve no more than 30 - 40 minutes with perhaps one longer transfer of 40mins plus.
- There will be a free day with the option of visiting: a)Pompeii &/or Herculaneum; b)island of Capri; with a guided/self-guided walk also available on that day for those who prefer.
Terrain & sample itinerary
As anyone who has previously visited the Amalfi coast will be aware, it is a popular walking destination, but there is an issue in terms of the preponderance of steps, . However as we are based in the mountains (as opposed to the coastal towns of Amalfi, Positano etc), to a large extent we can avoid the steps, as well as the crowds!! Most walks will be along typical mountain trails/mule tracks, though where we do start/finish walks on the coast there will be some ascent/descent on steps. This will be kept to a minimum. →
|Selection of available walks (with approximate cumulative ascent/descent). Shorter walks with less ascent are also available.
Distance (km)/Ascent (m)/Descent (m)
- Airport transfers in Italy
- Half board
- 5 picnic lunches
- 5 guided walking days. A guide will also be available to organize and accompany you on the optional trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum or Vesuvius.
- Transport as required for the 5 walking days. Where appropriate we may occasionally use public transport, depending on numbers.
- Optional trips
- from €730 euros per person for twin/double sharers (€870 with single supplement) - 7 nights half board & 5 picnic lunches.